Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hello, I invite you to Maria Dracula’s blog, which is based on the character Maria Dracula from my fantasy novel for children with the same name (www.mariadracula.com).

I grew up in Eastern Europe (Bucharest, Romania). Because now I live, read, and write in North America, I invite readers and writers who grew up in various places in the world to post their thoughts about the books they read as kids and how a childhood spent in different countries and cultures influenced their writing and reading as adults.

What are the stories you love most? I will start with my own experience. Growing up in Eastern Europe, I'd read Hans Christian Andersen, Charles Perrault, Brothers Grimm, Carlo Collodi, Edmondo de Amicis, Jules Verne, Hector Malot, Mark Twain, L. Frank Baum, Robert Louis Stevenson, Petre Ispirescu, and Shahrazad. They left an enduring mark on me to this day: I see the world beautiful, innocent, promising.

Maria Dracula is a coming-of-age fairy tale about a ten-year-old apprentice witch and orphan from Salem, Massachusetts, who discovers that she is the great-granddaughter of Dracula -- Maria Dracula. But this is also a fantasy book written the way stories are told in Southeastern Europe. In that part of the world surrealism supplants the gothic and Orient meets Occident in literature and art. Hence, natural elements – such as the Sun, the Moon, or the Milky Way Galaxy – are part of the adventure, and can intervene in the life of the characters at any time.

Maria Dracula is a fantastic story parents and grandparents would tell their offspring, hoping that children will learn about poetical language, and that through adventurous voyages any kid can become a hero. I guess, as writers possessing a hybrid diasporic sensibility, we instinctively bridge novelty and old style, the newly-found home and the lost one, the stories we learn as adults and the ones we've heard as kids.

Alice Rose

6 comments:

lumy said...

I was born in Romania, too, and I have found about you from Sue. I have been a teacher in Gura Humorului, Suceava, for 16 years and I am the one who will join the students to Bucharest. I am 40 so I am entitled to know everything about what you are writing. I have had a childhood marked by problems of all kind and by lacks.
I look forward to talking to you.
Luminita

Arisme said...

Hi! I'm looking forward to discuss 'face to face' about the book(I'm sure the live conference will be a real success). I was really impressed by "Maria Dracula". I don't know how to call it, because it's not only a fairytale, or a fantastic novel, but it also has very interesting interpretation of myths.I'd say it's a modern novel of initiation in witchcraft and mythology, and even in the Romanian culture.I love the natural behavior of the characters;even if most of them have unusual power, they perceive reality as we do. They have feelings, ideals, principles, expressed by human means and I think this enriches the substance of the book. All I wait it is "to be continued".

Alice Rose said...

Dear Lumy and Arisme,

Thank you so much for your presence at the conference yesterday! :)

I loved all of you, and I hope to meet you one day at Gura Humorului.

My email address is:
author @ mariadracula. com

I would love to know more about Lumy's experiences of her childhood.

And Arisme -- I don't know if this is your true name :) -- I think you are very talented at writing in English. Do you write any prose (short story or essay) or poetry? I would love to see them...

Please keep in touch!

Love you, guys,

Alice Rose

Arisme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arisme said...

Hello!
I want to thank you for the impressions and experience you shared with us during the conference. It was a great opportunity for me to understand the 'making of' the book,and, somehow, to talk with the main character.
My real name is Diana and, in fact, I am a passioned writer of fiction and diary. Well, don't imagine I'm a published author; my blog is the field where I can express a certain vision upon reality(I'm more keen on critical essays and opinions, because I'm a bit cynical). It would be an honor for me if you had time to read some of my thoughts on http://logosrhythm.blogspot.com.I have serious intentions about creating a blog in English, but this demands time, and I don't want to be an idle blogger.I have a busy period now (I prepare my final exams and wait for good news from US colleges regarding enrollment), but reading and writing are the antidotes against routine, the fields where I feel much more human.

Msk on the Road said...

Alice Rose,
It was most enjoyable to visit with you this week. I am finally caught up with some much needed sleep. I find the Romanian backdrop a grand arena for this fantasy tale. Having been to many of the places you describe, it is so much more vivid for me to imagine this story unfolding. And, of course, I have the luxury of also having been to the Salem area, and so it all fits together. Suspending reality for the sake of teh fantasy setting, the chareacters are very real in that the reader is rooting for them from the very first page. I wish I knew more about the backdrop of this novel. As I stay here longer and longer, I find more and more tidbits to the dark curtain that fifty years of communism brought.
Msk